What Do Faults Look Like and What Are the Different Types Called?

Normal and reverse faults, one plate end sliding vertically down or up another, create long ridges.

A graben, or long trench, is produced by two reverse faults running side by side. A horst, a long ridge or plateau, is formed by two normal faults parallel to each other.

Strike-slip faults shift the earth horizontally, moving one side of the fault along the other side.

If two stop signs face each other across a strike-slip fault, after an earthquake, one of the signs may have moved many feet to the right or left of the other.