To get to the base of it, that really is the definition of an obsession, an intrusive and inappropriate thought, impulse, or image. Intrusive, as applied to OCD, basically means that the thought, impulse, or image occurs when you really do not want it to. Therefore, these thoughts, impulses, or images are occurring because you have OCD. It is similar to having muscle pain because you have a pulled muscle. The reason for the pain is the pulled muscle, and until that pulled muscle is repaired or allowed to heal, there will be pain. Similarly, until you get some treatment for your OCD, you will experience the unwanted thoughts, impulses, or images because the nature of OCD is to cause unwanted thoughts, images, or impulses.
- What should we do if we decide that we don’t want to vaccinate our child or that we want to choose an alternative vaccine schedule?
- What are the differences between my regular thoughts and my OCD thoughts?
- What do I do after I have found the house I want in the neighborhood that I want?
- Why did Americans want to go to Texas and why did Mexico want them there before Texas won its independence?
- How do I figure out selling my house and finding a new home there when I don’t even know what part of the area I want to live in?