There are some signs that a certain area is either going down in value or is a potential site for crime. While nothing can indicate with 100% certainty the character of a neighborhood, the following are some signs of potential problems.
• Several abandoned buildings.
• Garbage not being picked up and collecting in alleys or streets.
• Many homes in disrepair, with no indication of any work being done on them.
• Lawns that have turned to dirt.
• Abandoned cars left on the street.
• Groups of adults gathering on stoops and street corners.
If you are in the market to purchase a home in this area because the neighborhood is being rehabbed with assistance from the city, then any of the above may just be a temporary problem. This is why you need to know the neighborhood before you buy.