This is something only you can decide. Many experts believe that a buyer, especially a first-time home buyer, can benefit from having someone looking out for his or her needs.
As a practical matter, many home buyers are well-educated by experience and information on the Internet as to real estate and what they want in a home. The era of the non-educated buyer who is led around by the parental agent giving advice seems to be over. Now real estate agents are part of the team, along with the attorney and lender who work with the buyer to achieve the buyer’s needs.
Most of the time the buyer’s agent is paid by the seller as part of the commission split. However, not all real estate transactions are handled the same way, and you may find that the commission for the buyer’s agent is open to negotiation or may ultimately be totally paid by the buyer. Before you sign on with a buyer’s agent, ask how the
agent will be paid.
Top 7 reasons to hire a real estate professional
• Their training and education
• Their neighborhood knowledge
• They can provide you with a comparative market analysis
• They know the market conditions of the area
• They can look at a large group of homes for sale and select only those that meet your criteria, saving you time.
• They can help find a mortgage
• Their negotiation skills