For children, snacking can be the highlight of their day. Not only do they look forward to it, snacks can be healthy energy boosters and mood enhancers. Nothing beats a snack that tastes great, satisfies in between meal hunger pangs, and is nutritious at the same time. However, thinking up creative gluten-free snacks that children actually enjoy can be a daunting task. While fresh fruits and vegetables are fantastic and gluten-free packaged snacks such as cookies can fit the bill for a while, many parents will end up scratching their heads for other options.
Women’s and parent’s magazines can be great sources for ideas, they’ve done the market research and often feature “kid’s favorites” snack ideas. You can also try typing things like “Top 10 Healthy Snacks for Children” into your favorite search engine and see what you can find. This exercise can help you think outside of the box and come up with some really innovative and delicious snack ideas that are gluten-free.
Consider the following gluten-free snack transformations:
• An Old Favorite
• Rice Krispie treats can be made with gluten-free rice puff cereal and gluten-free marshmallows. Transform the traditional recipe with your gluten-free ingredients.
• Use rice cakes, gluten-free crackers, or slices of gluten-free bread for “crust.” Pile on various toppings and cheese and melt in the toaster oven.
• Nut Butter Balls
• Use peanut or almond butter and dried fruit such as raisins or cherries, combine the butter with a bit of gluten-free milk powder and honey, then roll it into balls. Coat the balls with crumbled up gluten-free cookies.
• Bake a batch of mini-muffins using a gluten-free baking mix. Add gluten-free chocolate chips to the batter.
• Trail Mix
• Combine gluten-free cereal shapes with raisins, chocolate chips, peanuts, and gluten-free pretzels.
• Freeze It
• Make frozen pudding pops using gluten-free pudding and molds.