Here are some examples of the worst attitudes to bring to mediation in employment dispute cases.
• This is a moral issue. I am fighting for everyone who comes behind me, and I will not compromise.
• I am right, and they are wrong. There won’t be any compromise. I won’t even listen to their side.
• Nothing can make up for the humiliation and disrespect that I felt because of the discrimination.
• My case is so good that I will get a million dollars if I just hold out.
• Yes, I have an attorney, but I will not listen to him or her.
• Why should I participate in mediation, when it is my employer that did something wrong?
• I will lie, no one will catch me, and I will win.