Bullying is the next hot topic in employment law. For many years the only protection that an employee had against a mean, unfair, or miserable supervisor was when that supervisor’s actions fell under a basis of discrimination. That is slowly changing, but the change is not happening very quickly.
According to the Workplace Bullying Institute, about 54 million Americans have been victimized by workplace bullies. So far thirteen states have introduced legislation into their legislatures that will make workplace bullying illegal, but currently none of these states have enacted any laws to protect an employee from bullying.
More information on bullying
• Workplace Bullying Institute, www.bullyfreeworkplace.org
• Healthy Workplace Advocates:
• In New York: www.nyhwa.org
• In Vermont: www.vtbullybusters.org
• In Maryland: www.mdstopbully.com